Skip to content

Summer Program FAQs

Don’t see your question listed? Look under “Application FAQs” 

How will I know for sure if a program is going to run? 

With the exception of Faculty-Led Programs, the decision to run a summer study abroad program is at the discretion of the host. You should review their website, and contact them directly about their program cancellation policy. Faculty-led programs will have a clear decision date listed on their application page. 

Am I required to have medical insurance during my travels?

All students (graduate and undergraduate) traveling on a Mines-Approved program, or intending to get credit for an independent program, or traveling using Mines funding, are required to purchase the appropriate travel insurance. 

Does my medical insurance cover my decision to cancel my participation in this program? 

It is unlikely your insurance will cover your costs if you decide you no longer want to participate in the program. We suggest you look into additional travel insurance if you are expecting to pay a large amount of non-recoverable costs prior to departure. 

How can I be a safe traveler? 

Review and follow the health and safety information provided by Mines during pre-departure orientation, and from your host program. Review the State Department and CDC travel websites. Register for the Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. Contact Mines Education Abroad if you have further questions about your responsibilities for health and safety during study abroad travel.